National milk day is celebrated nationwide on November 26th every year to honor Dr Verghese Kurien; father of White revolution in India.
Once India used to be a milk deficient nation and today it has became the single largest milk producer in the world.
While we are celebrating the national milk day, let us observe some of the facts about milk today.
- only drink known on the earth that contains large range of naturally occurring nutrients
- one of the best source of calcium
- one of the healthiest drinks in the world
- vegetarian source of protein
- skimmed milk helps in weight loss while full fat milk gives all the nutrients for the optimum growth
- one of the rare food source of vitamin D
- provides traces of potassium, phosphorus and selenium
- complete source of protein
- beneficial for teeth, bones and enamels
- apart from the lactose content other varieties of milk are also present like coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk, oats milk